Comité 21 was created after the Rio Summit in 1994. Its goal was to implement sustainable development in the French regions. Since then, our network and the missions have broadened.
The mission of Comité 21 is to create conditions for exchange and partnerships between its members, who come from all sectors, so that they can appropriate and implement together sustainable development on a territorial scale.
We now have more than 420 members coming from different sectors; Comité 21 has four groups of members: companies (110 multinationals and SMEs), local authorities (140), NGOs (90) and representatives from public organizations, schools, further education and media.
- A network par excellence
Comité 21 fosters partnerships on a local scale between all actors, public and private: conferences on specific topics, study trips, annual meetings…
- Driver of change
Comité 21 provides practical tools and services to help its members: access to best practice, stakeholders sessions, workshops, conferences, circulation of information, methodological guides…
- Innovation and prospective
Comité 21 is a driver in reflecting on sustainable development with its members and towards public organizations: prospective committee, Grenelle de l’environnement, strategic notes.
Our work program is divided into three fields: Regions, Economy and Education.
- Accompany local authorities in the implementation of Agenda 21 and Climate Plans: train teams, mobilize partners, draw up of specifications, identify strategic issues, follow up actions, organize tailor made stakeholders sessions;
- Create tools and provide recommendations, spread best practice and legal updates,
- Organize meetings, workshops, study trips and tailor made stakeholders sessions;
- Participate in national reflections: Grenelle de l’environnement, framework for a sustainable town.
- Accompany companies by providing practical tools: methodological guides, data bases, practical leaflets, CSR meetings, study trips;
- Foster exchanges on best practice between enterprises (feedback, benchmark, putting forward responsible practices);
- Organize tailor made stakeholders sessions to accompany enterprises in their strategy of dialogue with their stakeholders;
- Encourage and nourish companies relationships with all actors of their local territories (local territories, NGOs, associations, public organizations and school and further education).
Education for sustainable development
- Encourage all members to participate in education for sustainable development: provide tools to mobilize their teams, identify the innovative processes, build recommandations, demonstrate expertise of associations;
- Facilitate the implementation of Agenda 21 for schools: on the basis of a recognized methodology, creation of tools and recommendations and feedback on best practice through a dedicated internet rubrique;
- Contribute to reinforcement of education for sustainable development in France (member of the French committee of UN Decade of education for sustainable development) and build projects in partnership with actors in education for environment and sustainable development.